Sunday, April 12, 2015

CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVAL

 Who would’ve thought of painting rocks for the 2015 Cherry
 Blossom Festival  Plein Air Competition at the VanDusen 
Botanical Garden?  It was my first ever competition and I placed 3rd!

 I also finally got to meet BC's very own Plen Air Watercolor Artist
 Alfonso L. Tejada who was full of energy and larger than life.
 I was so glad the sun came out when forecast said it wouldn't. 
The spot I chose was secluded except for 2 ducks that kept 
me company. I would've painted them in if I had the time, but
 maybe next time when they have their own festival. I did get to
 meet a lot of people who came by to say hi while I painted.
 They were very encouraging and enthusiastic which helps when
 painting in public.

 Almost finished. This picture reminds me of two people I had met that 
day. A father (and daughter) that came back  again  to see how I was 
progressing. He was very kind  and cheered me on. They both stayed 
until the very end of the competition after which he personally congra-
tulated me. A Russian boy, Ivan, came up to me as well. I noticed him 
sitting on a bench behind me for quite some time. He later on told me 
that he had done some Plein Air painting in school back in Moscow 
and felt  intimidated when people approached him which is  why he 
kept his distance and only came closer when I was done.

Signed, framed and hung. 
I call this Cherry Blossoms In the Air. 

The sound of trickling streams of water was enough to stop 
me in my tracks. There was no thinking twice when i saw 
the light and shadows that played on the rocks and foliage. 
The 3.5 hours flew by too quickly and as the painting was 
coming to an end, i decided to commemorate the festival 
by giving the viewer a little surprise at the top of the waterfall. 

Cherry Blossom flowers floating in the light:
Follow them and you will find Spring in Vancouver.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP